The two month doctor's appointment...
(Tummy time)
Needles and shots...every child's (and sometimes beyond childhood) worst fear. I remember the doctor's visit that I over came my childhood fear of needles. It was in preparation for high school soccer. I had to get a physical and some special shot that someone up in the government decided all kids should get before the enter high school. All this so I could play soccer. I was dreading the moment. Sitting in the waiting room, biting my nails, and trying to distract myself with a gossip magazine. They called my name, and I was up. The shot was coming, there was no turning back. The nurse puts on her gloves and unwraps the needle. My deltoid flexes as she wipes me with the cold alcohol pad. "It's easier if you loosen up." she says. Easy for her to say since she is the one holding the needle. But I do as I'm told, I feel a pinch, and that was it. It was over. I barely felt a thing. My fear of needles was conquered as a teen.Now it was time for me to watch my little girl get shots. This thought came to me the day before the appointment and my heart filled with anxiety for Julia. We had to watch her get a heel prick a month or so back and it hurt my heart to see her cry in pain....given the delayed reaction was pretty funny, it was still hard to see her in pain. The night before her shooting appointment, I had a dream. I can't remember all of the details, but it was something along the line of me jumping in front of Julia and taking the shot for her. Oh how I wished that they could give me the shot and it would transfer to her via feeding. The time for the shooting appointment arrived. I was sweaty-palmed in the waiting room as Julia just sat the joyfully looking around the room with her big bright eyes. "She has no idea what's coming," I mentioned to Tyrel. He of course told me I was more worried about this than she was and that she would forget about it soon after it happens. I knew he was right, but I still dreaded the moment of hearing her cry.
When it came time for the shots, they put the first one in, delayed reaction, scream, no breath, two more shots, take a big breath, more screaming....hand her over to mom. I felt pangs of hurt in my heart for Julia, but her pain did not last long. It wasn't even a minute before she stopped crying. What a champ! The rest of the day she was very groggy and fussy, and not herself at all. But now she is back to normal.
8 comments:
It is SO hard to watch your child experience pain. For me, I've always been phobic of throwing up. A couple months ago as I was sitting in the pediatrician's office using my hand as a funnel to direct Mackenzie's throw-up into a miniature garbage can and it hit me- I don't even care that she's puking into my hand. All I care about is that she gets feeling better. Long story but being a mom is seriously amazing! I can't imagine the love Heavenly Father has for his children
Oh my! She is totally cute you guys. The picture with Tyrel is a crack up. I can't wait to see her again! She is so alert and doing good at holding that little head up. Yay for Julia!
i like shots......
SO CUTE! I just want to give her kisses and hugs!
OH Man! I can't wait to see her! She is so cute and so big little. I mean, the chica is TINY, but still big....you know what I mean?!
Congrats on the shots. You could be the bad mom that dropped the sharp end of a metal pipe on her wee little girls pinky finger and split it WIDE open! Yep...I am that Mom! My girl was brave too! Big cry, stop. Prayer. No more crying. Thank goodness for brave little girls!
The picture of Tyrel and Julia is the cutest picture I have ever seen!
This is the second time I have looked at that picture with Tyrel and Julia. Babies are so funny. They totally act like they know what life is all about. You can just see her personality in that picture. She is a good mix of you two.
Love, Love, Love her....Oh! and you guys too! :)
Post a Comment